Tuesday, May 8, 2007

a truffula tree, perhaps?


Some of my all-time favorite trees are those created by Dr. Seuss – not a real doctor, but absolutely a genius, as far as I'm concerned. A "Dr. Seuss tree" can't be exactly described, as it is fantastical, but we all know such a tree when we happen upon it in our everyday lives. It will look like it does not quite belong in a world where we take ourselves so terribly seriously. The one above looks like it was transplanted directly off the pages of a Dr. Seuss story, and I have an irresistibly childlike urge to touch it. To squish it. to sit on one of its tufts, perhaps as Horton would have sat upon his nest in another Dr. Seuss tree. I expect that there's at least one Lorax who calls this tree home.

I must not take credit for this photo. It was taken in Switzerland and I discovered it on iStockphoto, which is an amazing stock illustration and photo site that changed my life (or at least my job) once I discovered it. Try it. You won't be disappointed and you won't believe what a dollar will buy.

No comments: