Thursday, June 23, 2011

Spanish Trees


Turns out there are palm trees in Spain. Which may not seem odd to many of you, but for some reason, I had never even considered this possibility, and so it took me by surprise. Especially when I was walking through the very narrow streets of Old Town Barcelona and came upon a palm tree there, just hanging out in a sunny corner, hugging the charming buildings where the cobblestone alleyway opened up just a little bit wider than too-narrow-for-a-car. I'm telling you. It was strange. And delightful. I think because I grew up in Central New York—and to this day have never been to Florida—that I still have this perception of Palm Trees as exotic and other-worldly and endlessly fascinating (as can also be noted here). And this is why I took too many photos of palm trees on my recent visit to Barcelona and Bilbao.

Here is the aforementioned tree, happy in it's cosy surroundings:


And a few more palm trees scattered around this beautiful city:




Peeking above the buildings! So great. And because I wanted to bring them home with me, here are a few more that made me smile. For your enjoyment, as well. The final tree (below) lives in the mountain town of Bilbao, and was enjoyed with a glass of red wine, of course.






27 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice shots, love your blog

Lori at Jarvis House said...

Love the pictures of your trees. I share your feelings about trees. My garden is based upon trees and flowering shrubs, not too many garden flowers, but I have piles of birds!

Anonymous said...

nice picture :D

me said...

what a truly great blog!

said...

Have you ever heard Jefferson Airplane’s “Eskimo Blue Day?”
It is MOST tree supportive.
It's @ YouTube.
)))((((((
(*)...(*)
....U....
.[____].

Anonymous said...

Wow, I like what you've done. I just subscribed to your blog, and bravo for the photos!Yes I love trees and have been thinking about evergreens after i watched this lecture:

You might like it(unrelated to me):
http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/Gardene


In one section, the speaker talks about species of evergreen trees in America and why the English imported them.

-Tony

Junaid Bhat said...

Your photos are gorgeous! I just stumbled across your blog today and will definitely be back. :-)

Scagnetti said...

Absolutely love everything you have on here, beautiful descriptions and beautiful picture to go along with them.

Unknown said...

What a great idea for a blog - thanks for sharing the pictures, they're beautiful!

Dee said...

Great pictures. I also have a love for trees. They are so majestic and beautiful. Check out beneaththeelmtree.blogspot.com. I think you'll enjoy it.

Unknown said...

I live on the West coast of Canada, on the very most southern tip (which as you can figure is not all THAT southern...) and we have palm trees here as well. It's a selling point I use when trying to get people to move closer to me. "C'mon, move to Victoria...it's Canada's Maui. And almost as touristy."

Anonymous said...

nice photo =)

simple human said...

Love all your pictures :D

Nuti said...

I like the design and pictures of your blog but i have to say that what surprised me most,was that you dindnt know we have palm trees in Spain :) first it made me smile as it remembered me something...when i was in USA this summer ,i realised that there a lot of people who just know about their little bubble and dont know about other places, i was asked if we had peanuts here and if we ate in spain mexican food... i mean by this that with people like you that are aware of details and with the internet we will reduce ignorance and better culture :)

Rushd Lady said...

you have some interesting trees there. any tea trees?

Rushd Lady said...

You have some interesting trees there. Any tea trees?

Naturally Modern (NM) said...

Beautiful pictures! I'm a tree lover (and a tree hugger!) myself too. I've got lots of green events and natural stuff on my blog if you'r interested! :D!

Anonymous said...

Awesome photos! I like them all!
www.behindt.blogspot.com
Bethany

wheatgerm said...

lovely trees everywhere

Michael Westside said...

Why are you taking pictures of trees?

Everything Changes said...

Great! From another tree lover!

beachsiggy said...

If you are really into palm trees, try going to Los Angeles near Christmas time! There are the very tall types of palm trees, which are not native to the area, and they wrap the entire trunk in Christmas lites. The area downtown around Pershing Square (where there is a skating rink, also) is lined with lit palms. Very unique. Your photos are beautiful, I enjoy your blog very much.

Betty and Wilma said...

Interesting idea 'trees' I guess the world would look awfully lame without trees.

Unknown said...

hi dear, wonderful post. wonderful photo.
beautiful-travelling places

cesar said...

excellent post! congratulations ..
successful and happy 2012.

GGG - recetas faciles

Unknown said...

Nice pics you have of those nice trees

Laurel said...

Lovely trees!