Sunday, June 24, 2007

Plum tree


Today I saw a plum tree. I actually discovered it yesterday as I was taking a walk in Arlington, VA (while visiting a friend) and the sidewalk suddenly became sticky and red. I was astonished to find my feet surrounded by squished plums and exposed pits. I don't believe I'd ever even considered the existence of plum trees, and there I was, standing directly under one. I looked up and saw the little fruits hanging in small clusters and could faintly detect the unmistakable scent of fresh plum juice.

Today I returned with my camera so I could share my discovery. Are plum trees common? I have no idea. I've never encountered one before that I can recall. There were so many neglected fallen plums that I expect the novelty has worn off for those who live with the tree. But I think I would enjoy having a fruit tree in my yard. The only (and very significant) aversion I have to it is that it appears that plum trees attract squirrels. Evil, black ones. I watched as one Evil Black Squirrel would nibble a plum for a while, and then throw the rest of it to the ground, and move on to the next one. Do NOT get me started on squirrels...

Seriously. (you can see the little bastard approaching the tree if you click on the photo above and view it larger).

But back to the plum tree. It was a lovely discovery and I felt that I couldn't walk away without tasting one. There were a few plump ones on the ground, but as I couldn't be sure whether or not an Evil Black Squirrel had thrown them down, I felt it best to pick one from the tree. I did so, and took a bite, and it was delicious. A bit tart, but I suppose that's because I didn't want to risk squirrel disease and picked one slightly under ripe. I ate the rest and walked away satisfied.



4 comments:

MC Etcher said...

Yay! Trees! Yes please, and thank you.

I've only seem a plum tree once, in person. It was in Germany when I was like 6. They were delicious!

Karen said...

I'd LOVE to go to Germany to see the plum trees! But I'm glad there are some closer than Germany.

Anonymous said...

I eat fruit from plums planted as street trees in Berkeley, CA. Michael Pollan scavenged for fruit in my neighborhood for one of his meals chronicled in the Omnivore's Dilemma.

Sarah said...

This was a wonderful to read-Thank you for sharing your thoughts and appreciation for plum trees. My grandfather had one in his yard that bore buckets and buckets of plump plums! your pictures brought back many childhood memories involving squirrels, hot summer days and plum juice running down my arms!